Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Suggested Listening

I received recently a request for a list of suggested listening for jazz. When it comes to playing jazz, the best thing to do is have an idea of what you want to sound like before you play a single note. For instance, every time I play my tenor sax, my goal is to sound like Sonny Rollins is in the room. How close I get is up to the listener. So this list is my own selection not only for sound concept but also melodic ideas as well. Jazz is an aural art and the best way to learn this music is to immerse yourself in it through listening. Also, don't limit yourself to artists who play your particular instrument. There are many things a saxophone player can learn from a trumpet player.

Suggested Listening

Alto Sax
  • Charlie Parker
  • Sonny Stitt
  • Cannonball Adderly (very good model for sound)
  • Johnny Hodges

Tenor Sax

  • Sonny Rollins (personal favorite for sound)
  • John Coltrane (Great melodic ideas and a true pioneer, I just can't stand his sound)
  • Benny Golson
  • Dexter Gordon
  • Coleman Hawkins
  • Lester Young
  • Ben Webster
  • Sonny Stitt

Trumpet

  • Dizzy Gillespie
  • Lee Morgan
  • Clifford Brown
  • Miles Davis (a true pioneer in composition, but in my opinion a somewhat sloppy improviser)
  • Chet Baker (great model for flowing melodic lines)

Piano

  • Count Basie
  • Duke Ellington
  • Thelonious Monk
  • Fats Waller

Drums

  • Art Blakey
  • Buddy Rich
  • Gene Krupa
  • Max Roach

Bass

  • Charles Mingus
  • Jaco Pastorius

Obviously, there are some intstruments not listed, but that does not mean there is not an artist that has brought that instrument into the public light in a jazz sense. Also, these short lists are so far from comprehensive it's not even funny. There are so many great names, I would run out space trying to list them all. Take these few names I've listed and go from there. Find your own favorites. Let your ears be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment